Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Food Sunday

Since I really do not care to watch the Super Bowl, I decided a great way to "participate" in the festivities today was to COOK! It started out with Robert *surprise* wanting to cook some big piece of meat. He gave me two choices: ribs or a Boston Butt. I chose the butt. I went to Publix for my weekly run and decided to make scalloped potatoes for our side dish (along with some peas I had put away in the freezer). Upon my arrival back to the house, I got the question I was hoping not to get: "What's for dessert?" Hmmm...NOT going back to the store. I remembered my granny's chocolate pound cake recipe! Surely I had all the ingredients? Yep!! Here are both recipes from tonight, which both turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself :) AND I got out of watching any of the football. Hehehe...

Granny's Chocolate Pound Cake

3 sticks butter, room temp.
5 eggs
3 cups sugar
3 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup milk

Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer or by hand. Add eggs one at a time and mix after each one. Separately combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Starting with the flour mixture, alternately add the milk and flour mix to the cream mixture, ending with the flour mix. Pour in a greased and floured pan and bake at 325 for 1 hour 15 mins.



Dust off the ol' mixer.



Make sure to grease AND flour the pan if you want it to come out!
What do I love more than Granny's pound cake? Her milk glass cake stand.


Scalloped Potatoes

2-1/2 lbs. red potatoes (I used yukon gold), thinly sliced
1/4 cups flour
1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, chopped
1/2 tsp crushed dried red pepper
3 tbsp butter
1-1/4 cups milk
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
1-1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (I used sharp cheddar and swiss...Gruyere is espensive!!)
1/2 cup grated parmesan

Toss sliced potatoes with flour in a large bowl. Sautee garlic and shallot in butter and add coated potatoes, milk, and next 3 ingredients, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.

Spoon half of the potato mixture in a baking dish and top woth 1/2 the cheese and repeat. Top with parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 35-40 minutes until bubbly and brown.



My new knife!! ;)



Brown and bubbly, as promised.
Robert's BUTT. I have to give him credit for this. He smoked it all day and it was yummy!
I went a little overboard with the potatoes, and, yes, I ate them all.

P.S. Who won the game?! :)

5 comments:

  1. I love the knife mincing that garlic like CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmmmmm! you are a rock star! and i love the last question!! xx

    -a

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definatley should have ditched the game & come to your house! You said nothing about choclate pound cake!! I'm drooling at my desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made the potatoes...they were fab!! I used 8 oz of smoked gruyere cheese and 6 oz of a mixed three cheese blend from the gourment cheese section at Publix to cut the expense of 12 ounces of Gruyere. I got great reviews from my dinner company. It made so much that we are still eating leftovers 3 nights later! Next time I may cut the recipe in half!! Keep posting great recipes like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Haley!! SO glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete